It has come to my attention recently that there's something about mountain culture that persists, no matter what state it's in.
Case in point: I've lived in Arrowhead, California for the last month, and have come to recognize a very familiar element in the people here that I thought was unique to northern Idaho, where I am from: there's something accessible, something unpretentious about who these people are. Very unlike my previous experiences with much of southern California.
And it's not like it's because it's 'so far away from civilization.' Thirty minutes gets me to San Bernardino, in all it's inland glory. LA is only an earthquake away. It's not remote.
What is it then, you ask?
I don't know, simply put. They're definitely not hicks. These folks are typical southern California sophisticates, to be sure. No doubt there. (iPhones in tow)
But I will admit I have heard more than once country music blasting from some random worker's van. So maybe I'm seeing the merging here of more than one culture.
Still, regardless, the general feel I get here is a more authentic human experience, notable enough that it warrants a blog posting. And since 'research' was my reasoning and purpose for coming, I ought to report what I've found thus far.
Who'd a thought? Not what I expected. From what I'd heard, this area was supposedly a posh, ritzy moviestar studded neighborhood.
Don't get me wrong, it's not like this is a dump. Actually, part of my personal enjoyment lately has been the fact that so many take such good care of their property; this place is immaculate compared to any other mountain community I've been to.
But still, there's a consistent air or demeanor of the folks around here that bespeaks of a connection to what is real. Interesting. Very interesting.
Sunday, March 21, 2010
What I've Noticed: Life in the Mountains
Posted by
thirdofeight
at
11:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment